Monday, May 23, 2011

A Little Piece of Humanity

 **Update 2-The death toll in Missouri has now risen to 122 people, a number that is sure to rise.  Over 1,500 people are still unaccounted for.  In the 2011 tornado season, 480 people have already died.  Firefighters and volunteers continue to sift through the rubble in hopes of rescuing anyone who may still be alive (Source).  

 **Update 1-The Missouri Governor released an updated number for those killed in the devastating tornado that swept across Southwestern Missouri.  A record setting 117 people lost their lives in the massive E5 tornado.  The tornado was half a mile wide and carried 200+ mile per hour winds.

Deviation.  Deviation is what I'm doing today.  Its been over three weeks since my last blog and nothing in the headlines has inspired me to write.  Although there have been numerous interesting stories ranging from the president's lack of congressional consultation on Libya to the proposal for pre 1967 Israeli borders.  Furthermore, with the 2012 election just over a year off,  there have been numerous updates concerning potential Republican presidential candidates.

However, going through the motions of the last few weeks, none of that seemed interesting.  None of it seemed ground breaking.  Nothing struck or inspired me as something that needed to be dissected and broadcast.  News just felt like white noise and hub bub for things that simply didn't seem to matter.

Don't misunderstand me. Economics, politics, and peace treaties are certainly worth writing about.  My attitude spoke more of my outlook/mood than anything else.  Then some news filled my twitter feed that twisted my stomach a little.

At least 89 people dead with many more injured, 2,000 buildings damaged, and highways/roads were closed due to tornado damage.  According to the Associated Press, more than 68 tornadoes were reported across the Midwest on May 22, 2011 (source).  However, by far, the worst of the damage occurred in Southwestern Missouri.  A tornado half a mile wide and traveling 6 miles plowed directly through Joplin Missouri. 

Joplin, a town of 50,000 people saw a third of the city damaged or destroyed.  Buildings in the path of the tornado included a Home Depot hardware store and the local Hospital.  The Hospital was housing approximately 2,000 patients at the time.

Being a big picture libertarian, I often focus on national politics and maneuver around the more emotive stories.  So, you may be wondering why I bring up the tornado story when there are tragedies befalling people every single day. 

Especially for big picture realists like myself, it is important to take a little extra time with the stories that move you.  You know, the stories that remind you that you are human.  The stories that evoke empathy and grief.  For me, embracing the feelings evoked in even tragic events is an important part of balance.

If I could impart one thing to my friends whom also enjoy political op-eds, cling to to that which brings out your humanity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite part of your post. " cling to that which brings out your humanity." I believe that brings out a reality that we all can care and show love as well as (sometimes more importantly) all are in need!

biel